My youngest always loves to “make something”. Most days we spend at least a bit of time in the kitchen cooking something he can help with.
Cooking with kids is fun and helps them in so many ways…but you have to be safe of course too. That said, there’s tons even the little ones can do in the kitchen to have a great time while learning about food, nutrition and more!
Many of our go to recipes when we’re cooking together are baked goods because they usually don’t require the stove all that much. And, also, because he loves muffins!
This recipe for apple crumb muffins is one of our favorites. Everyone in the family actually likes them and they’re fairly healthy. Some may want to reduce the sugar, and you could replace the butter with olive oil or all applesauce. We also like to increase the apples a bit here too!
Hope you enjoy this muffin recipe as much as we do and, if there’s a little one in your life, consider sharing the cooking duties with him or her and enjoy the fun!
- 2 C flour
- 1t baking powder
- ½t baking soda
- ½t salt
- ¼ C butter
- ¼ C applesauce
- 1C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1¼t vanilla
- 2 C apple chopped
- FOR CRUMB TOPPING
- ⅓ C brown sugar
- 1T flour
- ½ t cinnamon
- 2T butter
- 2T oats
- Preheat oven to 375F and prepare muffin pans.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl beat together butter, applesauce, sugar, and eggs until smooth.
- Add vanilla and apples
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients.
- Add mixture to prepared pans by filling each muffin cup to approx ½ full.
- In a separate bowl mix sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until you get a mixture that looks like coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle crumbs over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake 15 - 18 min or until set.
Nature Is Random…So Are These