Banana bread. It’s such a yummy way to use up old bananas; which are actually some of the best bananas nutritionally. However, brown bananas aren’t always that appetizing. Enter, banana bread. Of course, you can use ripe bananas too (like in the photo), but the closer to rotten the bananas are, the sweeter and more flavorful they are, and, as we said, the more nutritionally optimal.
Now, we’ll readily admit that there are a lot of banana bread recipes out there many of which are very tasty. But, some rely on a lot of refined sugars and are heavy on the fat. This one we’re going to share here though has some amazing extras that helps it stand out while staying healthy. Plus, it’s all natural and totally vegan!
Don’t let those brown, nutrition filled bananas go to waste – use them in this natural banana bread recipe that’s super healthy, vegan; and that the whole family will enjoy.
- 3 ripe bananas (1 c)
- ⅓ C applesauce (or oil)
- ¼ C lemon juice
- ½ C maple (or sugar)
- 1½ C flour
- ½ C wheat germ
- ½ t salt
- ½ t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- 1 C chopped dates
- 1 C chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mash bananas and mix with lemon juice, and applesauce (or oil).
- Add to sugar and mix well.
- Combine flour, wheat germ, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add to banana mixture and stir until combined.
- Add dates and nuts.
- Spoon mixture into greased loaf pan (4x8) and bake for 45-50 min.
- If you'd like to make muffins bake for about 25-30 min
Nature Is Random…So Are These